6/8/10

toddler language milestone

They say it's really hard to understand your toddler when he or she is still in the pre-talker stage because they are still trying to develop their communication skills. Well, in our case, even though our 14-month old daughter still cannot properly communicate to us verbally, she has developed some form of communication other than the use of words (I believe this is how pre-talkers communicate - mostly through sign language). As much as we can, we try to make sure that we still get all her messages across.

Sometimes, it's very easy to understand what she is trying to tell us. However, there are also situations where we have to keep guessing a few times before we would be able to understand her.

For example, when she wants to go outside, she would let out a cry and try to point her finger outside. This should be easy.

In this picture, she's just pointing at an object...

If she wants to show me something, she would grab my hand and would lead me towards the direction of the object or the place, wherever it is.

There are times when she would just cry and we thought that she wanted to drink milk only to find out that she's just sleepy. Good thing that we've already learned that we can always store her unfinished milk formula in the refrigerator and will still be good to drink when she's already awake.

Right now though, whenever she cries, we would watch her reaction when we ask her "Milk? You want milk?". If she reacts with a smile or a laughter, the answer means "Yes" especially if she would look in the direction where her milk and feeding bottles are located. However, if her reaction seems to show some indifference, as if she didn't hear us, then it means we need to guess some more. What a language milestone, indeed!

Anyhow, I find this stage of my toddler much much much more enjoyable. I feel like she's learning fast. Whenever we want a kiss from her, she would usually happily oblige because she knows we would praise her afterwards with some cheering and clapping.

And she's been the little noisemaker in the house. Whenever we have calls from my in-laws, she also wants to have something to do with the telephone.

 Credits to introvertedwriter for this beautiful piece of work on the photo!

Right now, I guess she's still trying to hone her narrative skills but somehow I know she'll turn out to be a glib talker someday. She talks as if she's speaking the right words, although for the record she knows how to say "Mama", "Papa", "Baby", "Ate", "Hala!" ["Hala!" by the way is an expression I frequently say when something or a situation frightens me without a warning. I guess I should be more watchful about the words I am saying :-)]

13 comments:

  1. Ah, she's gonna be a fast talker when she gets older. They learn from example, so whatever they hear or see you doing, they'll imitate it. Like my mom says, "Monkey see, monkey do!" LOL.

    By the way, she's not drinking whole milk now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. following over from MBC!
    Tracy
    http://thedailymomdiaries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. bchai, by whole milk you mean cow's milk? she's on Enfagrow now (a milk supplement equivalent to whole milk).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yung age nang baby mo ay age of discoveries for her and for both you and your husband. It's a thrill that no one can take away from you. She is at that stage when she wants to communicate and be an active part of your communal world. Just be careful with her for that is also the stage of curiosity on her part and her first defined sense is the sense of taste kaya halos lahat nang bagay ay inilalagay niya sa bibig. Alisin lang sa maaabot niya ang mga delikadong bagay. Thanks for the post. God bless you all always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the follow. I am returning the favor.

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. @brother mel: thanks, i'll take note of that..
    @joanna: thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our kids are really going through the same stages...katuwa naman I have someone I can share and compare :) I love this stage but I'm dreading the terrible twos. Hopefully we can steer them not to be too "terrible" :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have a 2 year old toddler too. naalala ko din when shes this young, every word nanasasambit nya iba ang dating. :)

    way to go baby.

    btw, saw you from jellybelly. following you now. follow me at hahpiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am following you from MBC. I hope you will do the same. I love it when they first learn to talk and express themselves. She is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when they first learn to talk and express themselves. She is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Father's Day to your hubby Meretrisha. I hope you had a wonderful Father's Day celebration with your darling baby. I hope everything's fine with you all and you're all in the best of health. God bless you all always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm following you from "Jingle Bell Hop"
    http://denkli-satisfyyoursenses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted to stop and thank you for coming to our Blog Hop at http://ohmyheartsie.blogspot.com/ I appreciate it and I am following on GF, I have tweeted you blog and shared to FB.

    We will be doing another blog hop in February if you are interested let me know at jinglebellhop@gmail.com

    And come join my network at http://livelaughlovetoshop.com it is free and there are lots of ways to promote your blog and/or business.

    Thanks and have a great day! Karren

    ReplyDelete