11/20/10

teething discomfort and then fever

She bites!
About a week ago, my daughter was not again in her best mood due to her teething discomfort. Yes, it's her molars again! I don't know how many molars more she'd have to endure - I might have to do a research about this pretty soon.

I think it was her worst teething discomfort  because she's had fever for two days that sent us a panicky feeling because her temperature has reached a 39.8ÂșC!  I can even feel the extra heat on her palms as well as the soles of her feet. We let her drink medicine for fever (every 4 hours) that was appropriate for her age.

I realized that when babies are sick, they would usually want their moms to hold and cuddle them. This was the case with my daughter - she wants me with her almost all the time, clamoring for attention.

It was really hard to see my baby getting uncomfortable and sick. I can't describe what I was feeling when I found out her fever went as high as 39.8. I was crying and I really didn't want to wait until the second day to see if she feels better. I just want to rush her to the doctor but husband said, we'll wait till the second day because we also believe that her teething was the cause of her fever. And we were right about it.

You know it was really hard for us to let her drink medicine for fever. Even though it has fruity flavor, we still had to force her to drink the medicine. Well, we really had a problem in letting her drink fluids because she would usually refuse take to take any except when she's given ice cubes! Occasionally, she would drink milk but we couldn't count on it because she would usually throw up when she's offered milk.

We knew it's important that she has fluid intake especially that she was eating less solid food. Glad we realized her fondness for ice cubes.  Thankfully, her fever went away even before we decided to see her pediatrician. Wiping her body with damp cloth has also helped in lowering down her temperature.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a horrible experience to go through. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I hope she's feeling better now. Teething is really a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kawawa naman si Dipdip na nagka high fever because of her teething problems. Good thing that her fever subsided. That's part of growing up that all children go through. It's just great that there are mommies who are always there to give them comfort and reassurance in their moments of pain. Thanks for the moving post. God bless you all always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. paet jud ning masakit ang bata. i remember we used to be up all night pud when our youngest sister gets sick or have fever. glad to know she's now ok jo. daku na ra ba kaau si dipdip dah. :)

    ReplyDelete